Virtual Training – Complaints Handling In Healthcare
This virtual training session will focus on the. The emphasis will be on practicality and a process that can be incorporated into the health professional’s working day, as well as one that can be conducted remotely. This interactive and practical course will provide a structured approach to complaints handling and incident investigation. Delegates will be guided through initial responses to complaints, letter writing, communicating with patients and families, along with gathering the evidence (including conducting interviews) conducting an analysis of the issues and evidence, and production of the final report.
The methodology taught will be one that can be incorporated into the health professional’s working day.
All techniques will be tested through role-play.
- How to communicate clearly and how to issue an apology
- How to conduct meetings with patients and families
- How to scope the complaint or incident
- How to work with the duty of candour, information sharing and confidentiality
- How to help staff produce excellent witness statements
- How to conduct interviews with staff in a blame free/fair blame culture
- How to manage your time including practical guidance on running a complaints investigation at the same time as undertaking your usual role
- How to increase staff confidence in producing reports and ensure a consistent approach across the Trust with the provision of report formats and checklists
09.30am to 09.45am Logon, technical knowhow and introductions
09.45am to 10.00am Delegate’s experience of handling complaints and undertaking investigations is established.
10.00am to 10.15am An overview of a systems-based approach.
10.15am to 10.45am Gathering information; a report is only as good as the information it is based on.
10.45am to 11.00am Coffee Break
11.00am to 11.45am Scoping case study
11.45am to 12.15am Meeting with family members, carers and patients
12.15am to 12.30pm Role play
12.30pm to 1.00pm Lunch
1.00pm to 1.15pm Recap on the mornings’ key lessons
1.15pm to 1.45pm Critical Analytical skills – how to prepare for interviews. How to conduct interviews with staff members and families
1.45pm to 2.30pm Exercise
2.30pm to 2.45pm Tea Break
2.45pm to 3.15pm Using timelines to structure analysis
3.15pm to 3.45pm Drafting response letters
3.45pm to 4.00pm Summary, questions, conclusion and feedback