This is a course for healthcare professionals who may have to give evidence at an Inquest. It is also suitable for those who may have to support staff in the immediate aftermath of a patient death and at Coroner’s Court.
Every delegate will be cross-examined by a Healthcare Lawyer and Inquest Advocate to experience, in a protected environment, the level of scrutiny their evidence may be subjected to. Every delegate will be given personal feedback and guidance on how to improve their own, individual presentation skills.
• The required skills to produce an excellent witness statement
• The necessary skills to critically analyse evidence
• Knowing what to wear
• Knowing what language to use
• In-depth understanding of what will happen on the day
• An appreciation of the interface between a Serious Untoward Incident Investigation and Inquest
• An understanding of the purpose of an Inquest; conclusions and PFD Reports
• Recognition of the importance of court visits
• Understanding the difference between an expert and a witness of fact
• Develop the necessary skills to present evidence and to excel under scrutiny
• Proficiency in dealing with lawyers’ techniques
NB – no live cases will be discussed.
This course is accredited for CPD purposes.
The course will take place in Central London at a venue to be announced.