We were delighted to read, in the new NHS Patient Safety Strategy (July 2019), that there will be a move away from using the phrase ‘Root Cause Analysis’ to using a ‘systems’-based approach to investigations; ‘SBA’. Previous participants in our courses will be aware that we have always passionately believed that there is never just one or two ‘causes’ of a patient safety incident and that blaming individuals is a barrier to organisational learning.
To reflect the new direction we have re-designed our Incident Investigation training package, using our 20-years’ experience, and expanded our methodology to allow even more time to be spent on important issues such as patient involvement, human factors and ergonomics, why things go right, a just culture and the lessons we have learnt from handling legal cases and undertaking investigations ourselves.
This two-day practical Masterclass will focus on information collection and critical analytical skills. The emphasis will be on a step-by-step process that can be incorporated into the health professional’s working day. Delegates will be provided with an investigation policy template as part of our commitment to an holistic approach to patient safety. Delegates will have the opportunity to practise all the techniques taught through cases studies.
The second day of this interactive training will focus on the skills of statement writing and interviewing and then take delegates through a case study.
Ensure a solid understanding of each step of the investigation process including:
• How much information to gather and how to gather it
• Understanding human factors and ergonomics
• How to help staff write excellent witness statements
• Involving patients, families and carers and embracing the duty of candour
• How to conduct interviews with staff in a just culture
• How to analyse the information gathered using timelines
• Identification of factors requiring change
• The importance of multi-disciplinary team involvement
• Focus on good practice
• Making proportionate and effective recommendations
• Time management
• Guidance on precision writing
The course is CPD accredited.